How prevalent is child sexual abuse?

Gathering data about the prevalence of childhood sexual abuse is challenging, and prevalence rates can vary based on location and definition of child sexual abuse. At Defend Innocence, we cite statistics that come from the ACE study, a thorough, longitudinal study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Kaiser Permanente focusing on the impact of childhood abuse and neglect. The ACE study found that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys in the United States are sexually abused before the age of 18.

What is the relationship between The Younique Foundation and Defend Innocence?

Defend Innocence is a sub-brand of The Younique Foundation. Both The Younique Foundation and Defend Innocence address child sexual abuse. The Younique Foundation focuses primarily on providing healing resources for survivors, and Defend Innocence focuses on empowering parents and caregivers to protect children from sexual abuse. All foundation financial resources are used for both brands.

What should I do if I’m having an issue with a merchandise order placed in your online store?

You can create a help ticket here. You can also create a ticket by clicking on “Submit a ticket” in the bottom right corner of the online store.

Responding to Sexual Abuse

How can I find a therapist for my child?

If your child has been sexually abused, working with a trained clinician is often a key part of healing. Here are some things to consider when selecting a therapist: Do some research. Look for someone who specializes in childhood trauma recovery. There are also practical considerations like finding someone your insurance will cover. Research can take time, but it’s worth it in the long run. Once you’ve selected a potential therapist, schedule an initial meeting. Ideally in the first meeting, you’ll have some one-on-one time with the therapist, then you and your child will talk to the therapist together, and then the therapist will work with your child individually. Try to find a therapist who takes a comprehensive approach to healing and considers the family unit, sleep, mind, body, nutrition, exercise, etc.

Can you provide money or expertise to help me pursue legal action against a perpetrator?

We believe that holding perpetrators accountable for their actions is important. We encourage you to report abuse to appropriate legal authorities and assist in giving any information you have. However, providing money and legal advice is outside the scope of our mission.

If I know or think that a child is being sexually abused, what should I do?

Report the abuse—regardless of whether it is confirmed or suspected—to proper authorities. Every state in the United States has some variation of mandatory reporting laws, meaning that you are legally required to report known or suspected sexual abuse. Consult these summaries of state laws to find out what your obligations are. You can also call 1 (800) 4-A-Child for additional support and guidance.

Can my child who is under 18 attend The Haven Retreat?

While we recognize the need for healing services focused on children, we do not host retreats for survivors under the age of 18. At this time, our retreats are tailored to meet the needs of adult female survivors of child sexual abuse. However, at many of the resources and principles may be applied to help your child heal from trauma. In addition, Defend Innocence offers resources designed to help reduce the risk that the abuse may happen again.

My child has been sexually abused. What should I do?

First, we know how overwhelming it can be to find out that your child has been abused. Your response to the situation matters. Please know that there are resources out there to support you and your child. To get started, read our blogs on how to care for your child after sexual abuse and how to support children who have been sexually abused. Be sure to report the abuse to your local authorities. You can also call 1 (800) 4-A-Child for additional support.

How do I report child sexual abuse?

In the United States, you should report sexual abuse to Child Protective Services (CPS). Their primary goal will be to ensure the long-term safety and well-being of the child. Find the specific agency in your state to report to here. For additional information, check out our blog on reporting child sexual abuse.

What is considered child sexual abuse?

The answer to this question can vary depending on who you ask. Here at Defend Innocence, we use the following definition: Child sexual abuse involves another person (adult, sibling, peer, etc.) who forces or coerces a child or adolescent into sexual activity. This activity may include fondling genitals, masturbation, oral-genital contact, digital penetration, vaginal intercourse, and/or anal intercourse. Child sexual abuse is not restricted to simply physical contact—it may include unhealthy sexual exposure, voyeurism, and child pornography.

Volunteering and Donating

Is there a way for me to teach my community (neighbors, church group, parent organization, etc.) about child sexual abuse?

Yes! We have created peer-to-peer education materials that provide all of the content and activities you need to teach others about child sexual abuse prevention. We currently have information about teaching healthy sexuality, and we’ll always be expanding these resources to cover other topics. All of our peer-to-peer education materials are available free of charge here on our website. In addition, we have a rich library of online resources covering a variety of topics. Please share these resources with your friends, family, and neighbors to empower them with knowledge.

How can I volunteer and/or help?

We are always excited to work with people who are passionate about our mission. Take a look at our current volunteer opportunities. If you have any questions, or if you have an idea for a specific way you’d like to volunteer, reach out to our volunteer coordinator, Annie Hartvigsen, at

Where should I mail donations?

Please mail donations to the foundation’s headquarters: The Younique Foundation, 3400 W. Mayflower Ave., Lehi, UT 84043.

How can I fundraise?

First, thank you for your interest in fundraising! The best and easiest way is through Facebook. On your Facebook page, click on “Fundraisers” in the explore tab. Next click on “Raise Money” and follow the instructions. There is no transaction fee when you raise money through Facebook, so 100% of the money comes to Defend Innocence.

How much funding goes into your programs? Where do donations go?

Our most recent independent audit shows that 83% of our annual budget is spent on program services. Services include all of the awareness campaigns, outreach activities, and education materials that Defend Innocence provides. Our budget also covers the healing services we offer through The Younique Foundation, including The Haven Retreat. The other 17% of our annual budget goes to fundraising efforts and operational expenses.

How do I cancel my recurring donation?

You will need to get in touch with our director of finance and operations, Abe Young. You can email him at

How can I give a recurring donation?

You can easily set up a recurring donation right here through our website.